Lift Vault Forum

Candito Linear Program Modifications

Hi Guys,

Since I haven’t found a thread about Canditos Linear Program here yet, I thought I’d open one.

It’s about adjustments or improvements to the existing program and what you think of it.

I am still a beginner myself. Because of Corona I had to take a longer break and want to start training again soon. Before my break I did programs like GreySkull LP or Ivysaur 4-4-8 and liked the AMRAP sets. Now my question would be how to incorporate this into Jonnie’s plan, since I want to try out his linear program.

In the vanilla program, straight sets are given for the main lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, rows: 3x6). What if you turned the last set into an AMRAP set (2x6; 1x6 +)?

Pro:

• Then you would have a kind of autoregulation and could use the repetitions in the AMRAP set to determine whether and how much weight can be increased for the next workout.
  • In a certain way it is also a regulation for volume. If you feel good that day you can perform extra reps. Why should you stop at 6 reps.

Contra:

• I know there are some drwaback with AMRAP sets because it only shows your performance on that given moment. Its not the best predictor but imho its still bestter than straight sets.
  • Absolute failure can lead to formbreakdown and has higher risk for injuries. Maybe its better to perform the AMRAP set only to an RPE9.

Has anyone tried that? Does it make sense to do that? I would appreciate your thoughts on this topic. Also i would like to hear your experiences with Jonnies linear program. Is it good? What would you change, if you had to do the program again?

Best regards

Hey, welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately I haven’t tried this program, so I can’t say what I think of your modifications. I think they sound reasonable and probably are a low risk modification, all things considered.

I’d say go for it and report back with how it goes for you! I’d love to find out.

The problem I found with Candito program is the gains were good but short lived. I needed more volume in the 8 to 10 range for squats especially in the first 3 to 4 weeks to build more muscle to handle the upcoming strength weeks. Depending on your lifting experience I would not do 2 sets of amrap, I would recommend just one set take it to form failure. I would also recommend adjusting the % to be able to perform that amrap correctly and explosively. I do see a great deal of progression in muscle size and strength using amrap, I highly recommend them. If your doing volume 4-6 sets of 4-8 reps. I would drop 10% and amrap to 10-12 reps for that set. If your doing strength I would 6-8 sets at 3-5 reps I would drop 5% and amrap to 6-8 reps for that set. Take only to form break, I dont care how many reps you got left in the tank. Once your form breaks your done, rerack.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Nottoshabi.

Are you referring to the Candito Linear Program? I was looking at it and don’t see any AMRAP sets in the program so I wasn’t sure what you were referring to.