Lift Vault Forum

Dan Alexander peaking program

I’m new to lifting. I’m using Dan Alexander’s peaking program. It has exercises listed as A1,A2,B1,B2. Am I suppose to do all 4 exercises on one day? I’m assuming so. And I’m assuming I alternate back and forth between the As until all reps are complete and then move on to the Bs??? Also how many days a week do I do these exercises?

Thanks
David

Hi David,

May I ask why you’re running a peaking program if you’re new to lifting? Are you peaking for a particular event/competition?

If not, you’d probably make better use of your valuable training time by running a novice program - nothing progresses more quickly than those.

I have not run the program, but taking a look at it, it looks like your day’s training is divided into A-1, B-1, A-2, B-2, where each of those is one day.

Day 1 = A-1
Day 2 = B-1
Day 3 = A-2
Day 4 = B-2

I’d imagine it doesn’t matter much how you space out the days as long as you can fit them into one 7 day week. For example you could do something like Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri.

Ok. Well I found it online and I’m now 3 weeks into the program. The reason why I started to question it is it seems like a small workout each day. It doesn’t seem like enough work each day to actually gain any muscle. 8 sets of an exercise each day seems like nothing. Not sure how this could set anyone up to peak for any competition?

Well, it’s a peaking program, so it’s not really for building muscle. It’s for maximizing the one rep max in each of the movements. :slight_smile:

If you look at the tonnage in each week, you’re still in what is more or less the introductory phase. Intensity is low, around 60%, which will bump up to 65% for week 4 and go up from there while rep count will decrease. It’s a fairly straightforward linear periodization program.

You’ll get stronger on it, because as a beginner you’ll get stronger doing just about anything. I encourage you to finish it, even if it’s suboptimal, because you’ll learn something from it and that’s the only way to get better as a lifter - keep learning.

When you’re done, I’d recommend getting on something like GreySkull LP. You’ll progress faster. After that, nSuns is usually a good program to run for increasing volume after the (lower volume) GSLP.

Also, generally speaking, 8 working sets for a given movement is actually a lot.

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend reading about progressive overload: https://rippedbody.com/principle-progressive-overload/

For other beginner programs, check out: https://liftvault.com/programs/powerlifting/beginner-powerlifting-programs/

Thanks a lot. I will for sure look into those programs.