Lift Vault Forum

New to lifting and want to find a program

I am 15yrs old, 5:11, 175lbs and want to find a good program for me. I recently got a gym membership and enjoyed lifting but I am really confused on what program to start. I have always been a built and stronger kid but never have lifted weights before.

Hi CMW!

Welcome to the forum! You came to the right place.

I’d recommend starting with Greyskull LP.

At this point, all you need to do is not do anything stupid. The program above progresses VERY quickly. That’s okay because as this point in your lifting career, you are able to make rapid gains in strength as long as you’re eating enough protein (0.7g * lb of lean body mass) and sleeping enough (8+ hours per night).

When choosing your starting weights, use the calculator honestly to generate your starting weights. Check your ego when picking your starting weights and you’ll be enjoying your gains later.

There’s a lot of temptation to get bogged down and distracted by the details, but as a novice there is no need to do this.

1. Linear Progression (Greyskull does this)
  2. Eat enough calories and protein (look into IIFYM, hit your macros)
  3. Track what you eat (MyFitnessPlan)
  4. Sleep

That’s it! You’re on the gains train.

Biggest problems that people (not just teens, people of all ages) run into:

1. They start too heavy because they lie when they use the 1RM calculators because it makes them feel good instead of being realistic.
  2. They don’t track what they eat, so they think they eat enough, but they don’t. But they can’t prove that they don’t, because they don’t track it, so they don’t realize it.
  3. They don’t follow the program. They skip stuff.
  4. They don’t sleep enough. They think they can power through lack of sleep, but what they don’t realize is that muscle growth happens during sleep. You get stronger when you recover from your exercise, not during it. You can’t power through that - you’re just skipping the muscle growth part, making yourself weaker vs. if you had slept enough.
  5. They’re not consistent enough. You’ll have good days and bad days. Keep at it. Your percentage of good days will keep getting higher the more you work at it. Every day is a fresh start. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you so much Kyle! This post really is helpful for me starting out lifting. I am going to do this program and update this forum in the future how I am doing.

Sounds good! Please keep us posted and feel free to ask questions. They will come up and that’s okay.